This nutritional supplement page has some of the best and necessary supplements recommended for you by How To Nutrition.
Some of the most common vitamin and mineral deficiencies in today’s human body include: Vitamin B-12, Vitamin-D, Magnesium, enzymes, and good gut bacteria.
*Charts adapted from – Nutrition Counseling and Education Skill Development 3rd edition by Bauer and Liou
Recommended Nutritional Supplements
Vitamin B-12 synthesis occurs naturally in the small intestine, which is the primary site of B-12 absorption. As long as gut bacteria have cobalt and certain other nutrients, they can produce the vitamin.
Continued use of antibiotics by the medical field over the past decades has killed off most of the bacteria that produce vitamin B-12 in the colon and small intestines that then store it in the liver (60%) and muscles (30%) for later use when needed.
- Nature's Way Vitamin B-12 - 2000 Mcg - 100 Lozenges
- Price: $20.15
- Nature's Answer Liquid Vitamin B-12 - 2 Fl Oz
- Price: $19.89
Vitamin D is actually a hormone rather than a vitamin. The body makes most of the vitamin-D it needs. Only about 10% comes from the food you consume. Your skins contact with sunlight produces a substance called cholecalciferol, which is converted by the liver to calcidiol.
Vitamin-D has multiple biological effects. According to the Vitamin Counsel vitamin-D helps with:
- Immune system, which helps you to fight infection
- Muscle function
- Cardiovascular function, for a healthy heart and circulation
- Respiratory system –for healthy lungs and airways
- Brain development
- Anti-cancer effects
Vitamin-D also helps to increase intestinal absorption of calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and zinc.
- Liquid Health Vitamin D3 - 2.03 Fl Oz
- Price: $11.93
Magnesium does more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps to maintain a healthy immune system, strong bones, nerve and muscle function, and works with calcium to support proper blood pressure levels and therefore preventing hypertension. The mineral also helps regulate blood glucose levels and aids in the production of energy and protein.
Without a proper balance of magnesium to other minerals like calcium, a heart attack can even occur due to severe muscle spasms (magnesium helps all muscles in the body, including the heart to relax).
- Life-Flo Pure Magnesium Oil Spray, 8 oz, LifeFlo
- Price: $7.68
- Magnesium Caps 400 mg, 180 Capsules, NOW Foods
- Price: $9.59
Medical studies have found approximately 75,000 enzymes in the body which are all divided into three category's:
- Metabolic enzymes that run our bodies
- Digestive enzymes that help to unlock the nutrients in the food we eat
- Food enzymes from raw foods that start the digestive process
There are several symptoms of deficiency that can include:
- Skin rashes, acne, and eczema
- Brain fog, headaches, and mood swings
- Joint pain
- Myofascial pain (chronic pain disorder)
Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is another sign of enzyme deficiency. This condition is the growth of abnormally large numbers of bacteria. You could say that it is bacteria that is misplaced or in its wrong environment and therefore causes havoc.
- Vitalabs Digestive Enzymes, 250 capsules
- Price: $11.80
- Nature's Way Food Enzymes - 90 Caps
- Price: $7.27
Good Gut Bacteria Or Probiotics
Scientific evidence shows that the right gut bacteria enhances the absorption and storage of lipids and helps to facilitate the absorption of needed vitamins and minerals.
Beneficial micro-flora either in your body or on the body's surface needs a stable environment in which to grow and flourish.
Don't see what your looking for - Link here to find the nutritional supplements you want...